Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Super Tuesday: The Morning After



Hmmmm. Well, super-duper, tsunami Tuesday wasn't really so thrilling, was it? Bit of a snore, in fact. As expected, nothing was resolved between Clinton and Obama who split the contests fairly evenly. Clinton won primaries in New York and New Jersey and captured the biggest prize of all, California, while Obama strung together nearly a dozen victories. Meanwhile... on the dark side of the universe, McCain pulled far ahead of Mittens and the Huckster — again, an entirely predictable outcome. We now return to normal programming...

Update: Heh. Wolcott voted for Hillary. Again, no surprise, but I kind of liked his rationalization: "
Perhaps it's my atheism at work but I found myself increasingly wary of and resistant to the salvational fervor of the Obama campaign, the idealistic zeal divorced from any particular policy or cause and chariot-driven by pure euphoria. I can picture President Hillary in the White House dealing with a recalcitrant Republican faction; I can't picture President Obama in the same role because his summons to history and call to hope seems to transcend legislative maneuvers and horse-trading; his charisma is on a more ethereal plane, and I don't look to politics for transcendence and self-certification." Ever the cynic.