Sunday, June 1, 2008

When Louis Met… The Nazis (Part 7 & 8)



If you’ve been watching the series, it won’t come as much of a surprise to discover that the subjects of the film end up revealing themselves as little more than dissembling hypocrites. Of Metzger, Theroux says: “As abhorrent as his views were, I found it hard to take Tom totally seriously. He seemed to like being seen as dangerous figure, but was all the while enjoying the fruits of a multi-racial democracy. I felt there was a touch of karaoke about this supposed ‘international politician’.”

The final encounter with Metzger’s publicity manager is truly cringe-inducing as he squirms awkwardly and lies up a storm while attempting to defend the indefensible. As for April Gaede, the National Vanguard mom, once the bogus rhetoric about attempting to teach her children “the truth” in a “perverted multiculturalist world” is dispensed with, we learn that in fact that her motives are more just the product of rank prejudice and superficial bigotry.

“I find other races annoying,” she says. “They bother me… I don’t like their chattering in other languages. I don’t like the way they look. You know, 99 percent of them I just find the way that they look just really… they’re just not pretty, they’re not attractive to me. I don’t want to be around them. I don’t like the way that they act. I don’t like the way they allow their children to behave. I don’t like the way they deal with situations. I don’t like the fact they seem to just make everything messy and dirty wherever they are. I don’t like that. I don’t want to be around them. I want to be around all white people, but it’s like I feel like I can’t be that way.” Well boo fucking hoo. Completely deadpan, Theroux asks her if she’s ever thought about getting some kind of therapy. To Gaede this is indicative of Theroux being “brainwashed by multiculturalism.”

And so the journey through the world of Nazis ends in frustration “with an argument, in a kitchen, with a mother of two.”