Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Six Trivial Things About Me



I’ve been tagged by this fellow to share six “non-important” things/habits/quirks about myself. What the heck, I’ll play along…

1) I don’t have a middle name. My father’s explanation for this decision was that he felt they were “inefficient” and served no purpose. That’s so typical of my father; he was such a prick, but also kind of funny in his own peculiar way.

2) I can’t stand using fine point pens or pencils with a harder grade than 2B. (Related: I’m an insufferable fusspot about cutlery and flatware too.)

3) I enjoy getting the flu. The bodily aches and pains involved are quite interesting to me. In part maybe that’s because it’s kind of novel experience. I haven’t had a cold or the flu in years…

4) I’ve never broken 100 playing 18 holes of golf. The closest I came was when I was stoned and shot 102. I’ve since given up the game for obvious reasons, but I did love its occasional moments of Zen-like serenity and the visceral joy of connecting just-so with the ball... A feeling I might suggest that is better than sex. (Related: Similar experiences with squash, tennis and baseball — limited ability, but much passion.)

5) I hate Starbucks coffee. It’s nasty, bitter and heinously overpriced (and don’t get me started on their baffling argot). The coffee at McDonald’s tastes better and is less expensive. (Related: I’ve never purchased a latté. Ever.)

6) I stopped wearing my glasses about a year ago. They became bothersome and I was curious to see what might happen without artificial correction.

Sorry to break with the meme, but I’m not going to post the rules or presumptuously impose this exercise on anyone else.